[Rhodes22-list] Adjusting Mast Rake

mm.bizlist1 at gmail.com mm.bizlist1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 17:29:11 EDT 2022

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the slow reply--I'm going back through the threads on the list and just saw this.  I also have a bit of lee helm I'm trying to cure.  I recently add a longer adjustable extension to my forestay (https://duckworks.com/racelite-shroud-adjuster/.  This is about 3" longer than my original which was already in the last hole.  I lengthened my forestay by about 1.5" more and that helped quite a bit but it's still slightly lee helm most of the time.  I'm going to try adding another 1" when I next lower the mast.

I was also thinking about getting some lead shot bags (like shooters use) to put in the frontmost part of the V-berth.  They should fit nicely behind the fiddle and not take up any room.

For what it's worth, Stan's owner's manual for the R22 specifies that the extension should be at the top of the forestay, not at the bottom.

Keep us posted on what works!

Thanks,

Mike McKay
s/v Liber (2006/2018)