[Rhodes22-list] Curved Rudder | 84 Rhodes 22

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Sun Dec 4 09:34:31 EST 2022

I was able to take a look at the rudder yesterday. In hindsight, I can't
believe that it took me 5 full seasons of sailing to recognize that this
was a potential problem. Attached are three photos. The first gives a
sense of how far the rudder swings under the hull when the down-haul is
used to pull the rudder against the "stop".  In the second photo I have
placed a white piece of plastic vertically to make more obvious how much
past vertical the rudder is when it is against the stop. The forward
edge of the white plastic is parallel with the forward edge of the
rudder head. The third photo shows the "stop" which is the forward side
of the rudder head (as Roger stated).

As Roger predicted in his previous email, it appears that the mechanical
variations of this particular rudder and rudder head allow the rudder to
rotate too far forward. As he suggested, I will experiment with a shim
to correct this. If this does not work out easily, I will place a mark
on the up-haul so that I know how far to deploy it to keep the rudder
from over-rotating, and then tension the down-haul against it.

Chris