[Rhodes22-list] Curved Rudder | 84 Rhodes 22

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Sun Dec 4 14:56:00 EST 2022

Thank you Mary Lou (and Fred). That is really interesting. Especially
since some of the R-22 rudders (at least Roger's and one of Bob's) don't
go past vertical. I have to wonder if a change to some other component
of the boat led to a change in the way Stan was configuring the rudder.

This thread was started by Bob who noticed that the two rudders/heads
that he owns are different. It would be really interesting to know what
motivated the change at the factory. My rudder is on an '86 that was
reconditioned in '07.

I think my experimenting next season will involve, with the rudder
forward, sailing as hard a beat as possible and tacking a few times,
then setting the rudder vertical and, while still beating, tacking a few
more times while using the tracking app on my phone to record the
results. I'll then be able to analyze the tacking angles when I get
home. My hypothesis is that the tacking angle will be tighter with a
vertical rudder.

As a thought experiment, if I were to move the rudder forward of the
transom, the bow would tend to want to rotate more to leeward (resulting
in lee helm). Conversely, if I were to move the rudder aft of the
transom, the tendency would be for the bow to rotate to windward
(weather helm). If the rudder were too far aft of the transom, I'd have
to steer too hard to lee, probably making the boat feel sluggish since
the rudder would be acting as a brake.

Chris