[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Pilot Recommendations

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Thu Feb 3 18:22:11 EST 2022

Mike,

I have an old fashioned varnished wood tiller.  I haven’t seen the GB fiberglass tiller.  So, I don’t know exactly how it is shaped.  But, the nice thing about the Raymarine pedestal mount is; there is a 3” OD X ½” thick base which is thru bolted to the top of the gunnel.  Then, there is a cylindrical pedestal that screws into the base.  The Tillerpilot has a pin that drops into the top of the cylindrical pedestal.  The cylindrical pedestal is available in a variety of lengths to adjust for the difference in height between the top of the gunnel and the top of the tiller.  The Tillerpilot Owner’s Handbook gives instructions how to determine the appropriate length of the cylindrical pedestal such that the Tillerpilot is installed level with the top of tiller.  The cylindrical pedestals are available in the following lengths and you would need to choose the length that raises the Tillerpilot up above the top surface of the tiller.

Pedestal Length                Raymarine Part No
38 mm (1.5 inch)                              D026
50 mm (2.0 inch)                              D027
64 mm (2.5 inch)                              D028
76 mm (3.0 inch)                              D029
89 mm (3.5 inch)                              D030

I think I needed the D027 Pedestal.  But, I don’t seem to have it written down anywhere and the boat is in winter storage for a couple more months.  The chances are, your fiberglass tiller would need a different length cylindrical pedestal anyway.

I looked at all the other mounting options for the Tillerpilot.  Between the selection of different length pushrods and the different height cylindrical pedestals, this mounting option gives the best overall fit and leaves the least intrusive hardware permanently attached to the tiller and gunnel.  For example, when the Tillerpilot is not being used, the cylindrical pedestal can be unscrewed and stowed with the Tillerpilot.  This leaves just the base attached to the gunnel, which is small enough to sit on and not likely to snag a line or stub your toe.  There is also no permanently attached bracket on either the top or the underside of the tiller.

Regarding the plug and socket for the Tillerpilot cord - The socket comes with a waterproof cap, which has a retaining lanyard, so you can’t lose it.  The plug itself is waterproof and I’ve never had an issue with water intrusion in 22 seasons.  For me, running the cable thru an area of the cockpit wherein you are unlikely to sit on it &/or foul a line on it is a more important issue than protecting a waterproof socket from the elements.  But, that’s just me.  Certainly, mounting the socket inside the coaming compartment will work.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium