[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Pilot Recommendations

Michael McKay mm.bizlist1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 23:15:35 EST 2022

Thanks Reuben, that helps confirm my assessment that the motor lift electr connection will be much easier to accomplish.

Michael McKay
(630) 209-2054 (m)

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 7, 2022, at 3:44 PM, Reuben Mezrich <reuben.mezrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For what it's worth....I had General Boat install my tiller pilot and they
> took the power from the motor lift (which comes from battery #2).
>
> Reuben Mezrich
> Pelican Cove in Sarasota and Back Bay, Boston
>

>> On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 3:08 PM Michael McKay <mm.bizlist1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Roger,
>>
>> Thanks again for taking the time and effort to provide such a detailed and
>> complete description of the options for installing the Tiller Pilot.
>>
>> I returned to my boat yesterday to take more detailed measurements and
>> found that the tiller pin actually should go on the bottom of the tiller,
>> so that is consistent with what other owners have done.
>>
>> While sailing her yesterday (one advantage of living in Georgia is year
>> round sailing) I realized that you are correct about the advantage of
>> keeping the power socket towards the aft of the cockpit.
>>
>> I also think I’ll get the power from the starter battery, since I have
>> easy access to a connection block in the lazarette.
>>
>> Thanks again for your advice!
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> Michael McKay
>> (630) 209-2054 (m)
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> I have an old fashioned varnished wood tiller.  I haven’t seen the GB
>> fiberglass tiller.  So, I don’t know exactly how it is shaped.  But, the
>> nice thing about the Raymarine pedestal mount is; there is a 3” OD X ½”
>> thick base which is thru bolted to the top of the gunnel.  Then, there is a
>> cylindrical pedestal that screws into the base.  The Tillerpilot has a pin
>> that drops into the top of the cylindrical pedestal.  The cylindrical
>> pedestal is available in a variety of lengths to adjust for the difference
>> in height between the top of the gunnel and the top of the tiller.  The
>> Tillerpilot Owner’s Handbook gives instructions how to determine the
>> appropriate length of the cylindrical pedestal such that the Tillerpilot is
>> installed level with the top of tiller.  The cylindrical pedestals are
>> available in the following lengths and you would need to choose the length
>> that raises the Tillerpilot up above the top surface of the tiller.
>>>
>>> Pedestal Length                Raymarine Part No
>>> 38 mm (1.5 inch)                              D026
>>> 50 mm (2.0 inch)                              D027
>>> 64 mm (2.5 inch)                              D028
>>> 76 mm (3.0 inch)                              D029