[Rhodes22-list] An Ongoing Lithium Battery Fire At Sea?

John McLaughlin jamcando126 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 13:04:10 EST 2022

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, February 21, 2022, 12:58 PM, Michael D. Weisner <mweisner at ebsmed.com> wrote:

Wow, the picture says it all. What a mess! At least, all souls were
evacuated.

I'll bring the marshmallows. Not much else to do other than watch.

This reminds me of the BP Gulf oil wellhead failure and the Fukushima
(TepCo) nuclear disaster, not to mention Chernobil.

It seems that we, as engineers, have always been quick to create designs
that make wonderful use of alternative energy sources but have not properly
considered the various failure modes. Just think about the benefits of
nuclear energy and the associated consequences resulting from human or
environmental related disasters.

Once again, we have assembled an energy system that is burning so hot and
giving of toxic gases that it cannot be safely extinguished with existing
tools. When it burns through the hull, it will just continue to burn as it
settles to the sea floor, vaguely reminiscient of the nuclear subs lost
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sunken_nuclear_submarines).

I wonder if proper crash failure analysis has been performed for electric
vehicles ... Obviously, the delivery system failure scenario wasn't fully
evaluated.

I may begin charging my cell phone, laptop, video camera, drone and any
other Li based energy storage products, outside my home instead of on my
nightstand or kitchen table. I really never considered the reactivity of
such systems.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY