[Rhodes22-list] Annual Donation Reminder

Melvyn Rothbard melrothbard at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 23:21:49 EST 2022

PeterThanks for the quick reply. I have been sailing my second Rhodes since 1996 on Barnegat  Bay. Somehow I missed the part about maintaining the list. I will definitely take care of this.  Thanks again.  By the way, I used to really enjoy your videos.  Did you ever do one about replacing the gooseneck fitting on the boom?Mel
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 9:44 PM, Peter Nyberg<peter at sunnybeeches.com> wrote:   Mel,

The R22 email list needs a server to run the Mailman software that makes the whole thing work. In the past, webmasters have used personal servers, or workplace servers for this purpose, but this left the group in a precarious position.  When Mike Weisner became webmaster, he opted to use Amazon Web Services (AWS) for hosting.  A major reason for this choice is that this will make it easier to transition to a new webmaster in the future, when that day comes.

An AWS server is obviously not free.  I don't really know what the cost is, and whatever it is, I'm pretty sure that Mike will continue to cover it even if no one contributes.  But, the list is a community, and I think that people who find value in the community should be willing to support it financially.

So, to specifically answer your questions, the contribution goes to Mike.  I feel confident that Mike is not making a net profit on this. The amount is entirely up to you, but the website does suggest that $10 per year would be appropriate. Again, you can find the 'Donate' button here: http://rhodes22.org.

--Peter