[Rhodes22-list] Tiller-Outboard Interconnect question

mm.bizlist1 at gmail.com mm.bizlist1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 12:14:00 EST 2022

Bob, you will have to remove the tiller connection at all times except when
maneuvering under power.

I originally thought the tiller to outboard connection would be a great
feature, but I found that it was not useful or necessary in my case for two
reasons:

1) The effective range of motion using the tiller connection on my outboard
(Mercury 8hp) is too limited.  I can make much sharper turns with just the
rudder when under power.  On rare occasions, I manually swivel the outboard
when maneuvering in close quarters at slow speed.  It's a bit awkward, but
not that difficult.

2) The resistance introduced by the outboard swivel clutch is very high,
making it very difficult to move the tiller.  You can release that clutch
when the outboard connection is in place, but that just makes the whole
process cumbersome and you have to remember to re-engage the clutch
afterwards.

Mike McKay
s/v Liber (2006/2018)
Allatoona Lake