[Rhodes22-list] Quick turn instructions

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sat Jan 22 19:56:47 EST 2022

Hi Graham,

After > 44 years of marriage, I can personally attest that yelling at the 1st mate does not generally yield good results!

The beauty of this technique is that you can apply enough engine thrust to really spin the boat around in limited space and even against the wind &/or current.  But, even as you are turning, the boat is slowing down.  You finish the turn going slowly or nearly stopped vs traveling faster than you would be willing to hit the dock using other techniques.  Slow and controlled, lots of time to think - no reason to yell at the 1st mate.  Just warn her to hang on to something or sit down before starting the turn!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone