[Rhodes22-list] Graham on the water?

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sat Jan 22 20:29:51 EST 2022

Thanks to everyone who expressed good wishes.

The boat is an old boat but the rehab has definitely given it a new life. It
is a simple little boat with few optional goodies but she is a sweetheart
with a great disposition when I talk to her nicely.

To answer Rob's questions: The ports using a continuous strip of tinted
Plexiglas is attached entirely by adhesive actually has worked out very well
and, strangely seems to be improving. The first year I had a few leaks but
after that summer the leaks have disappeared. Much as I like the
arrangement, if I were to do it again I would make a few modifications in
how I would do it. If anyone is interested, I culd expand on that point. In
previous years I posted information to the list on what the process was.

My little harbor is small but perfect for my needs. I have two floating
finger docks extending from a 60' pier. I put a portable garage over the
span between the two docks where I keep an old varnished mahogany boat that
I restored extensively before I started on the Rhodes. Last year I installed
a mahogany strip deck on the boat that needs to be kept out of the sun
unless I plan to do nothing but varnish the rest of my life.  Because the
wooden boat requires a fair bit of upkeep I made sure that everything on the
Rhodes required minimal upkeep.

The water is shallow most of the time but averages about 3' to 4' midsummer
most years. However, over the last three years the water level was the
highest on record for two of them and the lowest on record last year. I have
been here over 25 years and have never seen anything like that before. I
hope this isn't the new normal. Last July the water at my finger dock was
just under 2' deep. Fortunately the top 6 inches below the keel was soft mud
and the way the little harbor is situated I get virtually no swell. I
temporarily extended the floating dock with a raft I had and by holding my
breath I was just able to get the boat up to the dock. Just in case I
couldn't get the boat into the slip I made a mooring and placed it in the
bay nearby. In the end I didn't need to use it. On the years with the high
water I was unable to use the dock as the water was right up to the top of
the pier which, under those circumstances, offered little protection. I can
only hope that this year the water will return to normal levels.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario