[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Pilot Recommendations

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Mon Jan 31 17:59:25 EST 2022

Mike,

I'm not Roger, but I'll offer some of my experience anyway.

First, I hope you've found Bill Wickman's write-up of the installation of a Raymarine ST-1000 on his boat: http://rhodes22.org/document.html?documents/TillerPilotSetuponRhodes22.pdf

To answer your second question first, I had an unused circuit on my electrical panel, and used that to power the tiller pilot.  Since that placed a breaker into the circuit, I did not also include and inline fuse.  It seems to me that would be redundant.

As for the routing of wires...  If you have the standard General Boat galley, there's an area that's below the electrical panel, above the counter-top and behind the sliding panels.  If you drill a hole in the aft panel of this area, you will have an opening into the interior space of the starboard coaming.  Do this close to the hull, just to be sure you're not drilling a hole into the cockpit.

Best of luck,

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)