[Rhodes22-list] Cracked CB cap try 2

Mark Olson mark-olson at verizon.net
Wed Jul 6 10:01:06 EDT 2022

I did the first year I had mine.  I have a 1983 with the old style CB.
I didn't find out that the CB cap was cracked until we put it in the water.

My leak was small and the battery powered bulge pump did the job.  I am
moored in the Hudson and I had a solar panel keeping the battery charged.

During that off season I took  he cap off, put fiber glass on both sides
(more on the top), gel coated the repair and replaced the gasket.  It's
been fine.  5 years and counting.

When you take things apart take a look at where the CB pin sits. In my
case it was a tube not a pin and it drilled through the side of the
boat.  That was leaking also.  I glassed inside the boat and replaced
the tube with a pin.  I used inline bearings I got from McMaster Carr.
To make it all fit  a friend made a new CB pin with a shoulder for the
bearing to go on.  He made me a spare which you can have it you need.  I
think this was the bearing:
https://www.mcmaster.com/sleeve-bushings/multipurpose-dry-running-sleeve-bearings/

Mark Olson

1983 - Satchmo