[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard Pendant Questions

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Sat Jul 16 17:28:42 EDT 2022

An update:
Yesterday I talked myself into the possibility of using the damaged line
to pull the new line through the pulley system as Ric described. This
morning at high tide I lowered the centerboard, put on my mask, and dove
under the boat to determine if the knot on the centerboard was
accessible with the centerboard down as Ric suggested. I have the old
centerboard on my boat. My preconceived idea of what I was going to see
was based on the attached diagram that I found on the list.

I was surprised to find a single block on the centerboard and no knot.
The pendant runs from the cockpit, through the feed tube to the to this
block on the aft side of the centerboard and then vertically back up
into the centerboard trunk where I cannot see or feel how it is
attached. That is, I don't have the multiple block system shown in the
attached diagram. I also don't have access to the underwater-end of the
pendant. Since I don't, I have no way of using the technique that Ric
described to replace the line. This setup gives me only 2:1 mechanical
advantage when raising the centerboard which explains why it is not as
easy to raise as described in some old reviews of the Rhodes.

I did apply rigging tape in an attempt to attach the braided outer
covering to the core of the damaged rope. After 5 or 6 up/down cycles,
it seems to be holding. This should reduce the chaff on the core of the
damaged line.

So now I'm wondering what I will find when I open the centerboard cap.
Will there be two unused blocks attached to the cap as shown in the
attached diagram or was the boat intended to have a diamond board that
was either never installed or removed at some point? Did Stan move away
from the multiple block system as part of his continuous improvement
process (simpler is better)? Does anyone else know if they have this
arrangement on their boat (old centerboard, single block, 2:1 mechanical
advantage)?

Thanks,
Chris