[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard Pendant Questions

Ric Stott ric at stottarchitecture.com
Thu Jul 21 17:30:05 EDT 2022

Ed
You are a  brave man and  driven man to follow my advise but kudos to you for the try.
There are supposed to be two blocks on the trialing edge of your CB blade, they are imported from England and can be found with some research.
I can probably dig up the name and part number given enough time.
You can see them installed in the pic of the blade with the training edge blocks in place. They are attached to a slot in the trailing edge and have a thin tab that fits in the slot and is held in place with a small machine bolt.
There are also two Micro blocks hanging from pad-eyes on the underside side of your CB Cap. For these I used micro blocks from Harken.
I am attaching photos from  2nd CB rebuild.
For the 2d rebuild, the cp was destroyed and Stan was still communicating.
I think he dug up the mold and made me a new cap.  I had to alter it to install the SS turning”pin’, which I had to drill thru the sides, install the pin and sleeve and fiberglass the pin into the CB cap walls.
I also had to install the two small pad-eyes that hold the Micro-blocks.
The pad Eyes are bolted through the top of the cap with #10 SS machine Screws.
I used the old cap for a template for adding these needed items.
The line can be any low-stretch, quality, double braid yacht line, but the most important aspect is that it be as flexible as possible.

I don’t know the history of the CB at GB, but I suspect the CB was redesigned because it is vulnerable to damage and in  opinion the weakest link in the R22.
I doubt that Stan changed the rigging for the old style board  before he redesigned the whole system.
My rebuilt system works very well and is fairly easy to lift.
Best of Luck
Ric
PS - the CB shoaled tract fully into the trunk.
Dadventure
Hampton Bays, NY

Richard F. Stott, AIA, LEED AP
ric at stottarchitecture.com