[Rhodes22-list] Adjusting Mast Rake

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Sun Jul 24 16:53:47 EDT 2022

Hey all,

I feel like I have chipped away at overcoming the lee helm that my
Rhodes has exhibited since we've owned it. Adding weight forward of the
mast (I filled the water tank and added a couple of cinder blocks),
tightening-up the forestay, and unfurling less genoa have all helped I
think. However, I would like to try raking the mast aft a little. When I
use the aft-stay tensioners to tighten the forestay as much as possible,
I have virtually no rake; that is, the mast is approximately
perpendicular to the waterline. So I need to lengthen the forestay in
order to lean the mast aft. I'm thinking some sort of extender under the
jib furling cup would do the job. Somewhere between 1 1/2 and 3 inches
would be a good place to start, but it would be nice to be able to
adjust it. I have attached a photo of the coupling of the forestay to
the chainplate at the bow.

Does anyone have a recommendation for what to use to accomplish this
extension in a manner that would allow for trying different lengths?

Thanks,
Chris