[Rhodes22-list] Ballast vs. Weight aloft

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sun Jul 31 14:46:12 EDT 2022

Rodney,

On my boat, I have the Schaffer genoa T-tracks on the cockpit gunnels.  The forward most hole on the T-track is labeled 100 %.  Going aft, the 2nd hole is labeled 110%, the 3rd is labeled 120%, and so on.  With my 150% roller furling genoa fully deployed, I have the genoa sheet lead car in the 6th hole.  These sheet lead positions each give the optimum geometry on the genoa sheet such that the sail stalls and luffs evenly up and down the leach as the angle of attack is changed and the sail is furled.

100% is an awkward genoa setting for my boat.  Any smaller on the genoa and I need to switch to the inboard genoa tracks on the sidedecks.  If I’m trying to point, I also need to switch the genoa sheets to be inboard of the lifelines and upper sidestays.  Often times, it’s better to just keep furling the genoa to < 90% and switch the genoa sheet lead positions and sheet routing to the inner tracks.  Note, by this point, I will have the mainsail reefed to it’s 3rd reef point.  My boat has jiffy reefing with a fully battened conventional mainsail, not IMF.

Despite the name, it’s not the mainsail that produces the most thrust on a masthead rigged boat.  It’s actually the genoa.  Your best go fast strategy is to deploy as much genoa as possible for the wind/sea conditions and amount of rail meat ballast available and then use the IMF mainsail area to trim the weather helm/lee helm balance.

Remember, if you’re going to try to sail this close to the edge of the performance envelope, you’re going to be very busy if you are single handed.  Every little gust will require you to make adjustments on sail trim and helm.  You can’t just set it and forget it.  You must look to windward to anticipate gusts and lulls, headers and footers, and actively sail the boat.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium