[Rhodes22-list] CB Gasket replacement and Tightening

Joe Dempsey jpd9668 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 16:54:26 EDT 2022

Mike,

I can't put my "fingers" on it right now. But here are my notes:

I obtained a replacement gasket through Chris Cowie, ccowieatvoilieryachts.com , a Rhodie at Voilier Yachts in White Plains, MD . If you want to buy your own gasket, purchase neoprene.) I took my CB cap to them so they could get the bolt holes properly aligned in the right pattern. Once I had the new gasket, re-assembly of the gasket and CB Cover was the reverse.

I replaced all of the hardware with ¼” x 1-1/4” 316 SS Machine bolts, fender washers and lock nuts purchased from McMaster-Carr on line. You may be able to get them for less at Fastenall. The old gasket only had the machine screws and nuts. Stan told me that there should be fender washers on top and bottom. (First photo shows CB Cap before I removed it showing rust around the hex screw heads.  The second photo shows the “new” cap with new hardware incl. fender washers)

I tightened the hex screws barely snug at first and then gradually tightening, side to side, working from front to rear or vice versa and finally snugging them down in the same sequence, taking care not to over tighten. (Do not tighten by alternating front to rear or there is a chance of a “bubble” occurring in the gasket.)  Once you launch for the first time, check for leaks and torque the bolts as necessary, but always allow for future tightening.  When I first launched, there was leakage and I snugged the screws once again and the dripping ceased. I’m in my third season (2021) and it hasn’t leaked a drop!

I will probably pull up my cabin sole and re-snug them soon.

I hope this helps.