[Rhodes22-list] Cruising in Maine

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 08:11:44 EDT 2022

Hi Peter,

There was one anchorage where we had some mosquitoes (Northwest Harbor on
Deer Isle) when the wind died, but it wasn't bad. Otherwise we didn't have
any bug issues at all.

Here's where we went:

   - started by anchoring out on south side of Rockland Harbor
   - sailed northeast and anchored in Northwest Harbor on Deer Isle
   - sailed northwest around Little Deer Isle and then southeast through
   Eggemoggin Reach, then east through Casco Passage, then hooked north around
   Black Island to anchor between Black, Opechee and Sheep islands.
   - sailed southeast around Great Duck Island then NNW between Mount
   Desert and Cranberry Islands all the way up north to the end of Somes Sound
   by Bar Island, then back south to anchor in Valley Cove near the mouth of
   Somes Sound
   - sailed south just a bit to Southwest Harbor and docked to walk around
   the town.  Then departed mid afternoon for our overnight passage.  Sailed
   east and then south around Sutton, Little Cranberry and Baker islands then
   continued south about 15 miles past Mount Desert Light (to get out to an
   area mostly free of lobster pots before dark).  In the middle of the night
   we started heading back northwest towards Rockland, keeping Vinalhaven
   Island to our north.

I'll put together a trip recap with photos and share that once I have it
assembled.

Jesse