[Rhodes22-list] Photos of the "bad mast!"

Olivier Hecht oehecht at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 15:13:17 EDT 2022

Honestly that doesn’t look too bad to me, and I’d be shocked if that was
the only reason to get an entire new (specialized and hard to find) mast.
Remember that, under load, the spreaders are under compression and not
tension, so the mounts to the mast are more to keep them in place when
they’re not under tension. Just like the bolt at the foot of the mast.

I think there are a few ways to address the issue, including reinforcing
the material behind it, or just adding a new piece of thin strong material
between the spreader and the mast to act like a giant washer of sorts. You
might also be able to relocate the spreaders up or down the mast an inch or
two to find some good metal to connect them to…I don’t think that small of
a change in geometry would cause other issues.