[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard Drag and 6hp Speed

Lee Kuhn lvjkuhn at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 12:48:37 EDT 2022

1.  I was motoring around the lake the other day trying to get the ten
hours of break-in period on my new outboard.  That's a lot of motoring when
I could have been sailing.  I was going 3.5 mph with the diamond
centerboard in the up position.  I lowered the board and it slowed me down
to 3.4 mph.  May not be surprising to a lot of you but I'd thought it would
have slowed the boat down morre.

2,  My old motor was a 9.9hp.  I thought that a 8hp would be ideal for our
boats but I went down to a 6hp because of the weight difference,  Not sure
if I can manhandle the smaller engine on and off the boat but I can
probably find some kid who can.  At slightly less than one third throttle
the Tohatsu long shaft moved the boat at 5.1 mph in calm waters.  It will
be interesting to see what it can do in a strong headwind.

Lee
1999 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Claytor Lake, VA