[Rhodes22-list] Zephyr - Fall 2021 / Spring 2022 projects

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Tue Mar 8 11:17:32 EST 2022

Jesse,

Very nicely done, both the projects themselves, and the write up.  I'm particularly interested in your switch to a LiFePO4 battery, and look forward to your report on your experience with it.

One issue that I'm sure you are aware of, but didn't touch on is that the on-board battery management system (BMS) on these batteries can decide to stop accepting charging current.  Most commonly, this would happen when the battery reaches a fully charged state.  If the outboard is running, it would be the same as running it without a connection to a battery, which can damage the alternator (so I've read).  Have you done something to manage this potential situation?

--Peter