[Rhodes22-list] How to improve Rhodes 22 upwind performance?

mm.bizlist1 at gmail.com mm.bizlist1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 13:49:22 EDT 2022

Hi All,

Now that I've been sailing my Rhodes for about a year, I'm starting to focus
on getting the best performance out of her.  While I mostly sail for fun, I
do race every couple of weeks and want to be more competitive.  In
particular, I have found that she does not go to windward very well for me.

I have a 130 genoa and the IMF mainsail.  Until very recently, I have been
routing the jib sheets outside of the outer shrouds and handrails. That
limits how much I can trim the genoa. Consequently, I can only tack through
about 100-120o.

Recently, I tried running the jib sheets between the outer shrouds and the
inner shrouds.  That definitely improved my pointing ability significantly
at the expense of less than optimal headsail shape on some off wind points
of sail.  However, this configuration lets me use my jib cars to adapt to
wind strength and whether or not I am partially reefed.  I think this will
retain the ability to use a whisker pole on downwind legs.

I did briefly try both of the inboard jib sheet fairlead/cleat alternatives
but using those would seem to require having a second set of jib sheets and
probably going on the foredeck to switch between them after rounding a mark
(I often race solo).  Also, those options eliminate the ability to control
the sheeting angle to the clew with the jib cars.

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts and comments about what you have
learned about how to optimize your boat's performance.

Thanks,

Mike McKay
s/v Liber (2006/2018)
Allatoona Lake