[Rhodes22-list] How to improve Rhodes 22 upwind performance?

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Mon Mar 21 16:38:55 EDT 2022

Rick,

You are confusing “mast rake” with “mast bend”.

Mast bend implies an actual bending of the aluminum mast extrusion.  As you noted in your post, the IMF mast is very stiff.  Also with the mainsail, bearings, and other machinery stuffed inside the IMF mast, bending it out of straight and true would be very bad for the system.

In contrast, mast rake is the angle the mast makes relative to the mast step.  As you know, the base of the mast pivots on the mast step.  The mast rake angle is established by the length of the forestay and the rest of the standing rigging is tuned to suit.  My forestay has a turnbuckle built into the lower end terminal and the over all forestay length can be adjusted ~ +/- 3”.  Raking the mast aft moves the center of effort (CE) of the mainsail aft.  All else being equal, moving the mainsail’s CE aft will increase weather helm or moving it forward by shortening the forestay length will decrease weather helm (or increase lee helm).  The early IMF mainsail rigs had a tendency towards too much weather helm when the mainsail was fully deployed.  In Mike’s case, because he flies a 130% genoa vs a 150% or 175% genoa, this weather helm would be even more severe.  The experiment I suggested wherein Mike would slightly furl the IMF mainsail a little at a time and then check for weather helm is a definitive test for diagnosing this forestay length issue.  If Mike does not have a turnbuckle built-in to his forestay, or if the turnbuckle is already as short as possible; then, he will have to get a rigging shop to shorten the forestay and then swage on a new terminal.  Or, Mike could get a bigger genoa.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium