[Rhodes22-list] Deck Joint repair question

R Brown rnelson204 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 14:29:35 EDT 2022

Hope everyone is having a great week.  I purchased my Rhodes in Jan, and the owner mentioned that he was planning on resealing the deck joint this year (she leaks a little water on the starboard side galley are when the gunwales are buried). The search function lead to me to
a few threads on this topics, but left me with questions.  (My boat was built in 2001)

A. What to parts should I expect to replace?   I’ve read mention of drilling out rivets when resealing the joint.

Some one mentioned replacing rivets with bolts. Are there thoughts about the pros and cons of bolt vs. rivets?
Does anyone have a suggestion on what size rivets I’ll need? Also, where is a good source to purchase them?
Should I plan on replacing the rub rail while doing this?

B. How much time should I budget for this repair?

C. Lastly, would anyone be willing to talk live to share the experience on this repair.  If so my cell is 405-496-5533

Thanks in advance for helping this rookie out.

Cheers,

Rodney