[Rhodes22-list] Deck Joint repair question

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Thu Mar 24 17:19:27 EDT 2022

Rodney,

I have the same issue.  I'm sure I have a leaking deck/hull joint on the port side, because I've found the inside of the hull wet on several occasions after a boisterous day of sailing.  I'm not sure if I also have it the starboard side.

I haven't done anything about it because:

a) It's not that big a problem.  A few minutes with a sponge and a bucket will remove most of the water from the bilge.  Besides, as I've gained more sailing experience, I've gotten better at avoiding burying the rail.

b) I'm afraid of attempting the project to fix it.  The mystery of the rub-rail is a major factor in this.  I've thought about attempting to seal the joint from the inside, but haven't taken that notion any further.

Sorry I can't offer any insights.

--Peter
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)