[Rhodes22-list] update on bottom paint, battery setup, and bimini mount

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sun May 15 19:52:31 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

Here are a few updates on posts I had made earlier in the spring.

I concluded that the existing bottom paint was ablative, and we ended up
going with Seahawk Red Ablative AF 33 for the new paint.  It looks like it
went on well so we'll see how it holds up.

Regarding electrical updates, I added a sealed flooded lead acid group 51R
battery that's wired to my electric start outboard and motor lift on a
separate circuit from the house battery.  For a variety of reasons, the
consensus is that it's best to use a lead acid battery to connect with the
alternator.  I've got the two original 10 watt solar panels wired to the
starter battery, and the new 30 watt panel on the small arch over the stern
rail is wired to the LiFEOP4 house battery.  Everything seems to be working
well with both batteries staying topped up between usage.  Both batteries
are less than 30 lbs so they will be easy to manage when it comes time to
remove them in the off season.

The Group 51R battery is notably smaller (roughly 9"x5"x9") and lighter
than a Group 27.  I cut down one of the old battery boxes and used some
other materials to make a battery box for the 51R battery.  I mounted this
under the port settee just aft of the bulkhead for the v-berth. It fits
just between the fiberglass stringer and the raised floor.  I didn't use
that area for storage anyway since it was a bit hard to get to.  I removed
a wood piece that partially covered that area and replaced it with a PVC
board mounted on hinges and secured with barrel bolts.  The battery is a
snug fit in the battery box, but I tied the battery down as well to keep it
secure.  I wired a simple voltage reader to this battery so I can easily
keep an eye on the voltage level.

Per usual, I've probably overdone things and have more battery capacity
than I would ever practically need.  I learned a lot with the electrical
projects and now I can easily monitor battery usage with the monitors in
place.

The bimini mount that I added to the stern rail keeps the bimini from
covering up the 10 watt solar panels.  It's also easier to get on and off
the boat from the dock with the bimini stowed in the aft position.
However, when it's time to take the boat out for a sail, I find it easier
to move the bimini to the forward position resting on the cabin so the aft
portion of the cockpit is clear and I can sit on the coaming for a good
view forward.  The bimini mounts fold down into clips, and it's easy to
switch stowage position with the quick pins.  The mounting pieces were made
to have a threaded bolt for attachment so I had to drill those out for use
with the quick pins.

I attached a few photos for reference.  It's great to be back in the water
and sailing again!

Jesse Shumaker
S/V Zephyr