[Rhodes22-list] Curved Rudder | 84 Rhodes 22

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Wed Nov 30 00:04:49 EST 2022

Roger,

I don't have a sense for how much I moved the rudder blade on my two
trials. I was just hoping that some change would be noticeable. I'll pay
more attention next season, and, next time I have a chance, I'll try to
measure the difference between the "full down haul" position and the
vertical position. I'll also look at the mechanical stop to get a sense
for how a shim might be implemented. But for now, I think just using the
tension between the down-haul and the up-haul will be best for
experimenting so that I can convince myself that helm behavior really
does change.

On the two days that I experimented, I was intentionally keeping the
heel angle minimal, attempting to keep it flat. The winds were around 10
kts. I had the 130 genoa unfurled to the upper shrouds. So the luff of
the headsail was not shaped well due to the sail furled on the headstay.

On many days, we find ourselves sailing in 18 to 20 kts. We tend to be
timid about heeling too much and generally either fall off to a more
comfortable (flatter) reach or reduce sail. I've never really
experienced the transition to weather helm due to heeling - even when we
are heeled past our comfort angle. We probably head up before heeling
sufficiently to cause the hull shape to induce weather helm.

Chris