[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard thumping

Lee Kuhn lvjkuhn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:07:36 EDT 2022

Elton told this story every time I saw him at the boat shows in front of
potential Rhodes owners so I guess I can finally share it too.  First time
we launched my refurbished 1986 boat it sank.  Well, it sank as much as a
Rhodes can sink; water in the cabin and a little in the cockpit.

During delivery from Edenton the trailer separated from the tow vehicle on
Interstate 95.  Miraculously the trailer coasted to a stop with no apparent
damage.

The previous owner had installed blocks in the centerboard trunk to keep
the centerboard from banging around while he was asleep at anchor.  During
the accident the blocks put a crack in the trunk.  Rubber hoses are
probably a better idea than blocks but this was a bit of a freak accident.

Stan of course took the boat back to Edenton and fiberglassed the trunk
better than new and she never sank again.

Lee
1999 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Claytor Lake, VA