[Rhodes22-list] Roller furling part

Stephen Staum snstaum at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 14:37:07 EDT 2022

Frank,

I had the same problem a few years ago on the Carol Lee 2.  The piece fell
off while we were sailing and it was hard to roll the genoa.  Since the
boat was on the mooring midseason I needed a quick easy fix.  After
removing the remaining 1/2 plate I bought a cap for 1/2" PVC pipe
(available at any good hardware store).  I drilled a hole in the middle of
the cap approximately 1/8" wide to accommodate the forestay.  I cut the cap
in half so I could place it over the forestay with the genoa assembly
lifted up a few inches.  I also sliced a 4" piece of 3/8" ID nylobraid
(reinforced flexible pvc tubing - also available in a good hardware store)
and slid it over the forestay above the cap.  The split cap was then
secured with a stainless steel hose clamp (available guess where?)  The
nylobraid was slid into the cap and into the furler pipe acting as a pivot
point and centering bearing.  All the materials cost less than $5 and it
worked so well that I kept it that way and sold the boat years later with a
spare split cap on board to use when the old one wears out.  The cap rests
on the top of the forestay crimped fitting and the whole assembly pivots on
it.  Call me if you need a better explanation of this easy fix.  Email
directly for my number.

* Thanks and Stay Well,*

*Stephen Staum*
*s/v Pinafore*