[Rhodes22-list] Chris on LBI - CB blocks and end of season escape story

Ric Stott ric at stottarchitecture.com
Mon Oct 31 17:20:07 EDT 2022

A true Rhodie you are Chris on LBI
There are more ways than one and you seemed to have figured it out.
Good luck with your prize yacht.
We have so much fun with our boat on Shinnecock Bay - similar in some ways to LBI.
It’s one of the only sailboats moored on the bay.
We take it sailing, out to dinner, clamming & fishing.
Who does that with a sailboat?
This time of year gets sketchy because of the storms.
It made it through a big storm a couple of weeks ago.
Remnants of hurricane Ian blew with gusts to 50 kts for 4 days out of the NE - the longest fetch possible.
2 days later, in light air conditions, on a sunny afternoon, Dadventure took himself out for a sail through Shinnecock Inlet - - without me.
How that happened without hitting anything or running aground on the outgoing tide - against all odds, is a huge mystery. The wind at the mooring when it parted was on-shore so the current had to have been stronger, which is very unusual for this spot.
I discovered that the pendant shackle safety wire was broken in the storm by the top of the mooring ball which had broken and a sharp edge caught under the stainless safety wire.
The pin unscrewed itself.
A friend had seen it on the way out the inlet and called me - a funny  call as you might imagine.
He said it was headed out bow first going like it was in a hurry - not a soul on board, no sails, outboard in the up position.
The local fishermen didn’t even notice there was nobody on  board.
The local cops went and picked him up a half Mile off-shore and towed him back to the mooring.
Kind of funny after the fact - but I gave him a good scolding and hauled him out 2 days later.
Dadventure identifies as a male of course.
Trouble maker.
Ric

Richard F. Stott, AIA, LEED AP
ric at stottarchitecture.com