[Rhodes22-list] Tacking angle

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Sep 8 10:32:55 EDT 2022

HI Jeff,
When we owned our Rhodes, a 1991 with diamondboard centerboard, 160
genoa and 3 places to run the genoa sheets (outboard, inboard on the
deck by the cabin and cabintop) we used all three under different
conditions. It usually was determined by how much of the jib we had out
which was determined by conditions.

That said most of our sailing was cruising to get somewhere so we often
sailed the most comfortable angles that got us close to where we we
going and would then motor the rest of the way when time or our patience
ran out.

These articles which discuss trim and sheeting angles better than I can.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/racing/headsail-sheeting
https://www.uksailmakers.com/encyclopedia/5-2-genoa-trim
https://www.quantumsails.com/en/resources-and-expertise/articles/six-factors-of-perfect-upwind-headsail-trim

Best,
Mary Lou
ex Rhodes 22
now Rosborough RF-246  (We don't worry about pointing anymore, though we
do note the angle of the seas for a comfortable ride.)