[Rhodes22-list] Telltales

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Mon Sep 19 08:33:07 EDT 2022

Hey all,

I don't have any telltales on my sails. If I were to add them, where
should they be located on each of the sails given that we frequently
(but not always)  have both the 130 and mainsail partially furled? How
have others added telltales given that a few of the recommended
locations are pretty high above deck? (Unfurling the sails with the mast
down is not something I can picture doing).

 From what I've been reading, three sets on the headsail seems to be
recommended, but I'd probably need two sets of three to account for our
most typical furling configuration. Is that right?

For the main, 4 leach positions seems to be the minimum recommended. Is
this what other Rhodies have found works? If so, at what locations? Most
of the literature suggests a telltale at each horizontal batten ... and
of course we don't have any.

Do others have telltales up the luff of the main? If so, how far back
are they positioned from the fully-unfurled luff? Are there multiple
sets of luff telltales to allow for furling of the main?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance to anyone with input on
this topic.

Chris