[Rhodes22-list] Stan's Go Fund Me page

jpd9668 jpd9668 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:23:06 EDT 2022

Show boat? Is Stan seriously looking for a display boat? We're thinking of putting Respite up for sale. Here she is in July with poptop enclosure. Don't think k we have enough time to make it work.Joe DempseySV RespiteDeltaville, VASent via the Samsung Galaxy S22 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Olivier Hecht <oehecht at gmail.com> Date: 9/29/22  1:36 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Stan's Go Fund Me page Not sure what the latest is for the show. I moved Fretless to Edgewaterlast weekend but still need to step the mast, replace the fuel pump andprop…both of the parts will be here this week. And she’s filthy…hoping toget a test sail in soon…she’s missed this entire season!On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 6:44 PM Olivier Hecht <oehecht at gmail.com> wrote:> Wow, great to hear from you Stan!  I’m in the process of moving Fretless> from Richmond to the Annapolis area - this weekend is actually the planned> date for me to finally go get her. I was planning to sail her north but> that might be too complicated at this point and I’ll probably tow her up> here on Saturday.>> I’m just not sure she’s in any condition for the show…maybe she can be in> the water for demos if I get her ready in time. She’s needs some work - I> barely sailed her at all last season and she’s been sitting this entire> season so far as we were in the process of moving between April and July> and I just haven’t been able to spend time with/on her.>> Hopefully she’ll be in the Edgewater area later this weekend and I’ll keep> the group posted about her condition in case she can be useful.>> Olivier> s/v Fretless>> On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 5:34 PM Graham Parker <gramille at tds.net> wrote:>>> Yeah !>>>>  That sounds like the Stan we all love.>>  Have a great Show.>>>> Graham Parker>> sv “00Sailin”>> Vermont>>>> > On Sep 19, 2022, at 17:08, stan <stan at generalboats.com> wrote:>> >>> > Dear Rhodies all,>> >>> > I am deeply touched by the concerns and offers but let me clear up a>> bit where general boats, now pushing 65, and founder stan, pushing 97,>> stand and need to keep standing.>> >>> > What the company and its combination chief cook and bottle washer do>> NOT need are more sales.  As many of you know and point out, the Rhodes>> sells itself.  But alas, it can't build itself and deliveries have fallen>> to zero, everything that could manage to be sailed, now having been sold.>> We go to the show so as not to lose our largest intangible asset; the best>> land exhibit location at the # 1 sailboat show in the nation, earned the>> hard way: By being at its very first show (where I believe Chris (G) became>> intrigued with our take on what a writer of books, who is no fan of the>> Rhodes because it does not look to his conventional eye like a good old>> sailboat should, but nevertheless had to write: "From the deep blue ocean>> to the shallow coves, the Rhodes covers it all". So thanks but please, no>> need for monetary contributions.  With my mind and body having started>> parting company in my nineties what we need is physical help. (there was>> the time I would drive a Rhodes to the Chicago Show, set it up and then>> dash back to NY to pick up a Catalina 22 for that company  and turn right>> around and get it set up in our Chi space before calling it a day.  And>> think nothing of it.  Hate to face it but the body tells me I am no longer>> up to that.>> >>> > Thoughtful email from Mike just hit my inbox so I will go with it to>> complete this email of mine:>> >>> > * /"//Find a boat to exhibit at the show."/>> >>> > While we usually have 3 boats in our land space and one in the water>> for demo sails, I would be delighted to settle for 2 boats on land and just>> as delighted to settle for only one. I don't think an owners boat should be>> subject to that traffic plus it might accidentally get sold.  We have a>> used Rhodes at the plant that was donated to us by a USN submarine>> commander who when he had enough of underwater boating elected to buy one>> that can't sink so bought a Rhodes at a show and years later returned it to>> us saying it owed him nothing his having had such pleasure from it.  It>> needs a day or two of in cabin carpentry.  Selling that one at the show has>> the great advantage of having one less Rhodes wannabe haunting me daily>> since the last show.  In addition to, or in place of, we do have a couple>> wanting to go larger (which we encourage, our experience being they will>> miss the Rhodes and buy another when downsizing). Their boat is said to be>> in nice shape and not far from the show but they have no trailer and we>> have a new one at the plant and they will be thrilled if we accidentally>> sell their Rhodes which has an electric out board.>> >>> > .///"Arrange transportation for you to and from the show.>> > />> >>> > If we did manage to take the boat at the plant to the show I am skinny>> enough to go with that one.  Or, if we are taking the new trailer to pick>> up Jose's boat I can be strapped to the trailer if no room in car.  Getting>> home is a decision I can put off 'til after show.>> > //>> >>> > * / "F//ind convenient accommodations for you—sleeping on the boat is>> >   probably not the best option"/>> >>> > Not needed. Living on board at show is normal for me.>> >>> > /. //"Organize support from Rhodies at the show to talk with visitors>> about the Rhodes 22."/>> >>> > One of my quips has been I did not start talking 'til my thirties; In>> my nineties I can't stop.  I can handle this, plus Phil and Dawn are coming>> from Canada.  Phil has been coming for so many years he can't break the>> habit.  Plus I look forward to meeting Dawn.  But anyone who wants to come>> to a 'Rhodes Class' reunion, meet each other, sell boats and put up with>> all my stories, that is great with me.>> >>> >>> > Now I would like to do a brief bit of networking.  I am still (even>> more so) in the market for partnering, not investors, no financial>> investment is wanted. The stream of candidates has been impressive, Bill>> Wickman ventured the problem is me.  And I think he may be right.  Like>> Groucho, I am nervous in going with anyone who would have me as a partner.>> >>> > thanks again for all your interests in keeping the Rhodes from joining>> the giants of this misguided industry like the O'Days and Hunters and>> Gulfstars whose banks had to tell them when it was time to throw in the>> towel.  You haven't seen anything 'til you see what is brewing in the wings>> at general boats.>> >>> > stan>> >>> >>>>>