[Rhodes22-list] IMF Mast & Sail

Chris Geankoplis chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 11:50:46 EST 2023

I know parts are hard to come by for the bushings. Over the years I have
had to make several sets. The last, several years ago. This was done over
in Spain so I don’t have the measurements. The technique involves using  a
drill press and a couple of hole saws. The material is a small piece of
thick Starboard about 1 1/4” thick. Cut the first larger plug ( about 1/8”
larger than the OD of the furling tube. Secure this plug and shave it down
with a smaller holesaw slightly larger than the ID of the tube). Stop short
by an 1/8 of an inch so you create a “drum or plug “ with a lip. Slip a
long 1/4” bolt through the hole and secure it with nuts and lock washers so
it won’t spin. Attach to the drill mandrill and using a rasp/file/ abrasive
bevel the shaft so the smaller end just slips easily into the tube part way
down. The last step is to cut the plug lengthwise through the existing hole
with a very fine band saw or I’ve used a fine jig saw blade with a minimal
kerf. Since everything is set up, make a couple of spares, just remember
where you put them when you need to replace them in a few years down the
road/Rhode. Good luck.

Chris Geankoplis
Xenos