[Rhodes22-list] South Haven

Bob Weber rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:36:57 -0500

>From: Paul Grandholm <PAUL@mi.chtechnology.com>
>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
>Subject: [Rhodes22-list] South Haven
>Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:25:00 -0400
>
>Bob,
>
>      Saugatuck is the next harbor north of South Haven.  It's a cute,
>artsy fartsy, touristy kind of town.  They have real cool dune rides
>which I would highly recommend.  It would be a healthy trip by boat.  I'm
>guessing 15 to 20 miles.
>      St. Joseph is the next harbor to the south & is probably about the
>same distance.  It's a nice town but nothing special.  The one claim to
>fame is that theirs was one of five great lakes lighthouses commemorated
>with a U.S. postage stamp a few of years ago.
>      Van Buren State Park is just south of South Haven.  There is no
>protected anchorage, but if the weather is right you can anchor close to
>shore & enjoy the beach.
>      A word of warning:  Respect this lake.  We saw it go from dead calm
>to 5 foot breakers in two hours last Friday.  Listen & pay attention to
>the weather.  Last weekend was the Chicago to Mackinac Sailboat race.
>The longest (333 miles) fresh water race in the world.  16 boats dropped
>out and one capsized before the end of the race.  These are much bigger
>boats than ours.  In some conditions it can be more dangerous than the
>ocean because the waves are much closer together when it kicks up.
>
>Paul
> >
> >Paul, I will be up in South Haven again this year and am bringing my
>boat.
> >Do you know of any good day trips to take in those parts?  I will be
>keeping
> >her at South Haven Muni Marina on the black river.  You had mentioned
>seeing
> >my boat at Carlyle, it will be only an hours drive if you would like to
>meet
> >up - I owe you a sail.  Talk to you later.  Bob Weber
> >S/V Ruba

Paul, Thanks for the info.  I would like borrow a couple charts.  The
Sagautuck run sounds like something my wife would really like.  The rest of
the family usually goes up there via car for a day trip so mabey I can time
it so I can bring one crew up and a more rested crew back down.  My record
sail in this boat is 15 miles.  It is workable with good weather.  You don't
have to tell me about the weather on lake mich.  I read about the mackinawa
race and have heard the ballard of the ella fitzgerald.  Sheltered harbors
are so few and far between I will really have to be assured of the weather
before I set out on a cruise.  Does the wind drop off in late july / august
like it does in MO?  I August sailboats are just funny looking pontoon boats
and swim platforms.  See you soon.  Bob