[Rhodes22-list] Hull Speed

Richard F Sheehan rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:49:02 -0400

Dear Slim;

Answers  below

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 04:41:30 -0500 Steve Alm <salm@mn.rr.com> writes:
> I've owned my R22 for less than a year and I'm still learning a lot
> about
> the boat and still learning a lot about sailing.  First, what is the
> hull
> speed of the R22?    A: 5.9999kts

I know there's a standard formula to calculate
> this but I
> can't seem to find it.  A: 1.34 time  sqare root of length at waterline
[LWL]

> Second, I have the IMF and the 175% Doyle genny.  What's the
> approximate
> minimum wind speed and optimum point of sail necessary to achieve
> hull speed
> under full sail?  A: it depends on the wave action and current,  a
about 10 kts is my best estimate.

 I'm guessing a beam reach with winds at about
> 14-16.
> Would it be easier with the boom in the down ("first reef")
> position?   A: no.

 Can
> it be done safely with the boom in the up position?  A: Yes
(I
> prefer to
> sail with the pop top up.)  A: you must like wet bedding.
>
> Third, without the standard main or a foam luff pad, is it possible
> for me
> to pop over my bow wave and exceed hull speed?  If so, under what
> conditions
> could I safely do that?  A: Read next paragraph.

Slim, you sound like a man who wants a "go fast" boat.  What you really
should do is research trimarans.  I believe that Corsair makes an F-24,
which would be perfect for your purposes.  The R-22 with its tubby shape
and spacious interior will never be a "go fast" boat.  It will always be
a great affordable pocket cruiser.

That being said, I'm going to mention the horrible secret word.  Ready?
It is: PITCHPOLE.  Most people have not had the truly rotten experiance
of pitchpoling.  It happens fast, it causes damage to sails and rigging,
if your cabin is not properly closed, [and most aren't] it will sink the
boat and ruin everything inside.  You DO NOT want to pitchpole.  Running
before a large wind with too much sail  is a good way to start the
process.  The way to avoid it is REEF, REEF, REEF!  I've only pitchpoled
one boat in my life, but that one was enough.  The moral of the lesson
is: Get a faster boat if you need a faster boat.

Enjoy sailing  - whatever you sail!

Dick

CPT Richard F. Sheehan
PO Box 117