[Rhodes22-list] Re: kayaks

Roland.John rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:11:04 -0400

Since I've done a good deal of research on kayaks over the last couple =
of years I thought I'd add my 2-cents worth.

First,  Roger's input is right on.  If you plan to board from a =
mothership the Loon's larger cockpit opening is far and away the best =
way to go.  And, it's a great boat.  As for size, Old Town makes the =
Loon series in both smaller sizes and a larger Loon 160 tandem.  They =
also make the 138 as a tandem. In both tandems they have a single large =
cockpit opening with two seats. You might want to check them out.  See =
comments below regarding the smaller Loons.

Old Town Canoe - also see their general recreational kayak page for =
smaller Loons
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayak_rectour.html

If you wanted a smaller boat you might also consider Walden's products.  =
These (and the smaller Loons) have smaller but still fairly generous =
cockpit openings.  They would be a bit better in MILD white water (not =
more than 2.5 to 3) and easier to Eskimo Roll (much kudos to Roger for =
figuring out how to do this in the Loon) and a lot harder to enter from =
a mothership. =20
=20
Walden Naturalist and other recreational models
http://www.waldensports.com/recreational.html

Roger mentioned Perception, I looked at the Perception Antigua and =
really liked this boat.  It is about the size of a Loon 138 but has a =
smaller opening and a fairly high fore deck.  I'm a big guy, 6'2" and =
250 lbs and my knees are getting a bit stiff so I feel cramped in most =
kayaks.  This boat has a fairly tight opening but with easy entry (from =
the ground) and great knee room inside.  I think the opening is a bit =
small for boarding from a mothership.  Again this would be marginally =
better for mild white water since it has a smaller cockpit.  Easier to =
seal and easier to lock your knees under the deck to brace yourself. =20

Perception. =20
http://www.kayaker.com/products/boats/boatindex.asp?type=3Drecreational

Finally, if you want to meet a guy who builds the Rhodes 22 of canoes =
and kayaks check out. =20
http://www.krugercanoes.com/

John S. Roland  -  Senior Staff Engineer
ENSCO Inc.  5400 Port Royal Road, Springfield VA 22151-2312
voice; (703) 321-4614      fax; (703) 321-4609     roland.john@ensco.com =
   www.ensco.com