[Rhodes22-list] Stan, Self-Censorship & the Charter

Bill Effros rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 10:31:25 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00F2_01C23558.C23A73C0

Is Stan on the new list?

It will be refreshing to hear his views without self-censorship.

I hadn't realized the extent to which we all started censoring ourselves =
to comply with what we thought were Sailnet rules.  Adults were =
censoring their language in email to other adults.  The list had become =
flat.  In less than a week the energy level has really picked up, and =
more people seem comfortable enough to join in.

It is great to see pictures of other people's boats without having to =
jump to another site.  I hope people will continue posting.  Some of the =
pictures truly are worth a thousand words.

Michael, is it time to post the long version of the charter?

Here's the short version:

No Politics
No Religion

Everything else is discussed.

Label subject lines clearly so people can follow threads.

Jokes are always labeled as jokes in the subject line.

The list functions like a water cooler in an office.  You come to it to =
break up your day, even if you don't happen to be thirsty.  This =
particular water cooler attracts owners of Rhodes-22 sailboats.  They =
hang out and talk about lots of different things.  But if you have =
specific R-22 questions, this is the water cooler for you.  You can be =
sure someone will help you, or point you in the right direction.

If you are new to the list and thought it would "focus like a laser =
beam" on sailboat specific topics, please try to understand that people =
who have contributed to the list for years would not come back day after =
day simply to answer the same questions over and over.

Lurking is fine.  Be sure to check out the FAQ.  99% of what you want to =
know is there. If and when you are ready, introduce yourself to the =
group.  Everyone understands it is intimidating to jump into a well =
established community of people before you feel comfortable. =20

We are more than 200 people who thought we had nothing in common other =
than the fact we are all interested in small cruising sailboats.  =
Through the list we have learned we have much more in common than that.  =

All are welcome.

Bill Effros

------=_NextPart_000_00F2_01C23558.C23A73C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Is Stan on the new list?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>It will be refreshing to hear his views without=20
self-censorship.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I hadn't realized the extent to which we all =
started=20
censoring ourselves to comply with what we thought were&nbsp;Sailnet=20
rules.&nbsp; Adults were censoring their language in email to other=20
adults.&nbsp; The list had become flat.&nbsp; In less than a week the =
energy=20
level has really picked up, and more people seem comfortable enough to =
join=20
in.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>It is great to see pictures of other people's =
boats=20
without having to jump to another site.&nbsp; I hope people will =
continue=20
posting.&nbsp; Some of the pictures truly are worth a thousand=20
words.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Michael, is it time to post the long version of =
the=20
charter?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Here's the short version:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>No Politics</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>No Religion</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Everything else is discussed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Label subject lines clearly so people can follow =

threads.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Jokes are always labeled as jokes in the subject =

line.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The list functions like a water cooler in an =
office.&nbsp;=20
You come to it to break up your day, even if you don't happen to be=20
thirsty.&nbsp; This particular water cooler attracts owners of Rhodes-22 =

sailboats.&nbsp; They hang out and talk about lots of different =
things.&nbsp;=20
But if you have specific R-22 questions,&nbsp;this is the water cooler =
for=20
you.&nbsp; You can be sure someone will help you, or point you in the =
right=20
direction.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>If you are new to the list and thought it would =
"focus=20
like a laser beam" on sailboat specific topics, please try to understand =
that=20
people who have contributed to the list for years would not come back =
day after=20
day simply to answer the same questions over and over.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Lurking is fine.&nbsp; Be sure to check out the =
FAQ.&nbsp;=20
99% of what you want to know is there.&nbsp;If and when you are ready, =
introduce=20
yourself to the group.&nbsp; Everyone understands it is intimidating to =
jump=20
into a&nbsp;well established community of people before you feel=20
comfortable.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>We are more than 200&nbsp;people who thought =
we&nbsp;had=20
nothing in common other than the fact we are all interested in small =
cruising=20
sailboats.&nbsp; Through the list we have learned we have much more in =
common=20
than that.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>All are welcome.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Bill Effros</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00F2_01C23558.C23A73C0--