[Rhodes22-list] Single line docking trick

Steve Alm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 02:17:53 -0500

I've been trying Roger's single line docking trick a lot lately.  I've tried
connecting it in several places and have settled on the stainless hand hold
on the cockpit bulkhead.  But the bow still comes into the dock first.  I
typically land with the board up and the rudder uncleated--both down haul
and up haul.  This causes the rudder to ride up and back a little.  I do
this because the water at my dock is shallow and quite weedy.  This puts my
CLR farther aft and I suppose that's why the bow comes in first. (?)

So the line should be connected to the boat farther aft, right?  I'm
wondering if the primary jib lead block is sturdy enough for this.  Since
it's adjustable fore and aft, I could experiment and get it just right but I
don't want to risk any damage.

I've also tried connecting to the stern cleat which brings the stern in
first.  That isn't so bad because I'm sitting in the stern and can easily
reach out my arm and fend off, then quickly step off onto the dock with bow
line in hand.  But if I'm coming in too fast, that could be a hazard.  We
piano players don't want to bang up our hands.  (I'm certain nobody else
does either.)  Maybe use the stern cleat for the landing line and hang a
nice big fender from the winch and/or stern pulpit?

Anybody?

Slim