[Rhodes22-list] battery installation

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Sun, 03 Nov 2002 11:04:46 -0600

Brad,

I'm with Rummy. Simpler is better. I am seriously considering not replacing
the battery that resides under my settee and only having the one that lives
in the compartment next to the head. (between head and settee) If you want
to spend some money, you can go out and buy some LED cabin lights and other
low draw stuff (anchor light, etc.) to replace your standard incandescent
stuff with. This will simplify your wiring chores a whole bunch and these
LED's are supposed to live up to 100,000 hours so you will have a lot less
bulb replacing to do. Simpler again. The LED stuff is certainly not to the
point where you could call it inexpensive yet. If you compare it to
replacing a couple of batteries, a couple of times though, and who knows
how many light bulbs, it starts to look a lot more reasonable.

I just ordered a new LED type area light for the cabin, day before
yesterday. Of course, I haven't received it yet, let along gotten it
installed, so I can't tell you how it works. If it works well though, I may
replace most of the more highly used light on my boat with these. If you
are interested, I ordered this from a fellow that hangs out in the TSBB
named Jobst Vandrey. He has started building these things and is offering
them for sale. You can get in touch with him at his web site, A Comfortable
Pocket Yacht. Here's a link so you can check it out if you
like.  http://www.geocities.com/jvandrey/flicka_led.html

Have fun,
Rik