[Rhodes22-list] diesel

gene phares shoejg@yahoo.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:19:19 -0800 (PST)

a while back I figured the cost of buying  new to save fuel dollars. you have to really up the mpg to justify trading a perfectly fine working vehicle for one with better fuel mileage. you probably won't get what it is truly worth by traking plus you lose the interest on the money you put down and also pay interest on a loan if you borrow.I would run the present vehicle into the ground/surf and then buy the - probably - less expensive gas model at retirement. of course you're talking to a subaru owner driving a 297,000 mile vehicle with a ticking lifter, grinding noise,whiney slipping transmission in front of a howling rear differential. I'm trying to get her to 300k and I could if my significant other wouldn't make me take the 39,000 mile standby subaru on trips. anyway repairs are usually less expensive than payments. you can put $2000. into a vehicle and be even or ahead if it only runs 1more year.