[Rhodes22-list] Right from the get go

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:06:55 -0500

Hey Alice,

I had a lot of the same questions and your right things add up quick.

I have a hand held radio but the range is very limited. This is not a big
deal for me as I sail inland in very protected waters. I have never had to
use the radio other than to hail a buddy. I think I have turned it on twice
this year. In the bay you may one day need the extended range. Many use
co-axial run up the mast to an external antenna. Some hand held radios and
GPSs have external antenna connections. If you ever wanted to add external
antenna later you will have to drop the mast, I would let GB do this
upfront. Also if you go with IMF get the mast hoist unless you have a lot of
strong friends.

I don't have hatch, the pop-top provides plenty of ventilation. I also have
a small solar vent on the foredeck. You can use a wind scoop to funnel in
more breeze as well. Many on the list have hatches and like them. My boat
did not come with them and I don't miss them. I don't think they are prone
to leaking but I have heard a few people mention they have had leaks. It
does provide standing room in the head area when open but I am guessing this
would not be important to you.

Take your pick on motors, 2 vs. 4 stroke, both have advantages. Just make
sure if you get a used one you have it checked out. You can't tell much by
looking at a used outboard especially if it has not seen salt water use.
Most of them are clean inside and "look" great. This doesn't mean much. Mine
came with a 2 stroke 6 HP Long Shaft Mercury with electric start and small
alternator. The electric start is handy and my wife loves it. On the bay you
will want a motor you can count on. I would not cut corners here.

Most people recommend a dedicated starting battery; I went against
conventional wisdom and used a deep cycle battery to start. Our motors are
so small and crank easy. The motor starts with a push of a button every
time, and does not create much strain on battery. The same battery can also
serve as your house battery. If you need a couple of nights of power you may
want to look at two batteries (this is what I did). Many on this list use
solar chargers and love them.

I do not have shore power, I am in the cheap slips at my marina and 4 boats
share two AC outlets at no charge. When I need to recharge battery I use
high quality extension cord run inside the boat to my onboard battery
charger. I may add shore power if I ever really start cruising to other
locations.

My hand held radio, and portable stereo (and spotlights) can plug into cabin
mounted cigarette lighter for use and charging. I actually don't leave my
hand held electronics on board. I have a small bag that contains my CD
Player, and hand held radio (I keep spare batteries, flashlights, spotlights
on board) and I just carry home with me. When I get a GPS I will take home
with me as well. My marina does not have a theft problem but my locks don't
work (don't tell anyone). I charge my electronics at home when needed. I
also can charge on board but I have never had to do so.

Many have the Marine head and love it, my boat came with porta potti and it
works for us. There are more maintenance issues with marine head but you may
appreciate this feature. I have a porta potti and I prefer it because it is
simpler. Not a pleasant chore to empty but we really don't use much. It
works fine and no odors when used properly. We limit use in warm weather,
the men’s room is off the bow to leeward. Cooler weather there is plenty of
marinas at hand. When we go out for a night or two the porta potti works
fine. They do come in different sizes; larger holding tanks may seem like a
good idea until you have to empty. They can get pretty heavy when you have
to carry a shore.

I am sure others will pipe in with suggestions. Many of us use our boats
differently, what works for me in sheltered waters may not be the best for
you on the bay.

Good Luck,

Wally, Knoxville TN