[Rhodes22-list] Bugs

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:33:27 -0500

Rummy,

You betcha! My Dad was pissed when I spent $125 for a stereo, I only paid
$75 for the car! I had a Pioneer Super Tuner, FM Casette with Jenson 6 X 9
speakers mounted behind the back seat. Bugs and VW Buses/Vans ran on a 6
volt system until 68. Radio Shack used to sell a 6 to 12 volt convertor.
There was a big market for this device. In the 60s the bug was one of the
best selling cars in America. The convertor  worked ok but really put a load
on the battery at idle. I got lazy and left the battery lid off the battery
one time. The springs in the back seat shorted the battery out and started a
fire while I was driving. The car filled up with smoke and I pulled over the
side of road. I had to pull the seat out while on fire (the seat that is) to
save my car from going up in smoke. I went to the junkjard and got a new
seat out of a wreck.

These cars were really easy to work on, I could always get it to run. I did
have to use a yardstick for my gas gauge. You had to stick it into the tank
and measure how many inches of gas you had. Don't even ask me if the heat
worked, I used to have to scrap ice off the inside of the windshield!

With snow tires on my bug would go almost anywhere. I drove to Hattera in
the 70s and we motored all over the beach. I aired down to about 10 PSI, if
we got stuck we just lifted the rear end and moved it.

Those were the days .....

Wally