storms Re: [Rhodes22-list] Right from the get go

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:14:36 -0500

At 01:56 PM 11/16/2002 -0500, Richard wrote:
>I defer to Roger on the mechanical/electrical issues.  However I do not
>believe that a passing thunderstorm would build 8 foot seas.  To develop a
>sea that high one would need a long fetch and sustained winds for a period
>of time measured in hours.
>
>Roger is quit correct when he warns about undue concern about getting caught
>out in a storm.  Occasional bad weather comes with the territory.  There are
>thousands of boats on Chesapeake Bay sailing experiencing the same
>conditions with you!  Be prepared, watch the sky and listen to your weather
>radio.

The Chesapeake is a very forgiving place to sail but you still have to be
vigilant. Fred and I have storm checklist that includes battening
everything down, PFDs and raingear on, etc. We spend a lot of time watching
the sky, knowing the forecast and we have a weather radio that will sound
an alarm when storm warnings are issued. The storm warning system has
actually become a bit less usefull to us over the past couple of years as
it has become more refined and locallized. We liked it when we could hear
the broadcast warnings for central Maryland as it gave us more time to seek
shelter. It's still useful though. We've seen 4-5 foot waves (and they
looked like 8!) but they usually take several hours to build. Amazingly,
when the wind drops, they flatten right out again. The only time we were
ever caught out, the rain was so heavy, it flattened the waves. We were
able to motor into the wind though we were blown backwards more than half a
mile in nearly 0 visibility. You need to know where you are at all times.

>One thing is a must when it comes to thunderstorms.  GET AWAY FROM THE SHORE
>AND SHOAL AREAS.  Unless you can make a slip or a mooring within minutes
>head out to sea at full throttle... much safer.

This is often impossible in the Bay and is one of the real hazards as the
waves build higher. Richard is right that you need to keep to the deepes
water you can find but you also need to stay away from the shipping
channels as the ship traffic doesn't stop for storms.

>Although others recommend otherwise I do not advocate trying to steam into
>the wind under these conditions.  Cavitation of the prop (from heeling if
>nothing else) and the action of the wind on the hull  dooms such an
>exercise.  I now shift to neutral fast idle the engine and steer the boat
>(on it's windage only) on the most comfortable point of sail.  It's much
>more better that way.

As I said, the only time we were caught out, the rain kept the waves flat
and we were able to keep her nose to the wind but it is wise to have a
number of tricks up your sleeve so that if one thing doesn't work another
will. We've spent some time since practicing getting the R22 to heave to
and might consider that a possibility - perhaps with some motor assist as well.

>In general a convective storm will last around an hour.  The most severe
>conditions are generally experienced as the leading dark roll cloud with
>it's associated downdraft pass overhead.

Richard is correct with this and in fact many Chesapeake storms are shorter
and that the most severe wind often is at the beginning of the storm. There
is a story on the R22 FAQ page about the capsize of an R22 in the downburst
that accompanied a storm. They were motoring way from the wind which was
pushing a wave that caught the boat on the stern quarter. I believe no one
was injured and the boat was repaired to sail again. The account can be
found at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/capsize.html

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, MD