[Rhodes22-list]Lightning, again

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:10:26 -0500

Richard,

Your comment "However NO ONE has ever been electrocuted by a lightning
strike to a sail boat." is new to me and this discussion.  I think that is
what most of us are really worried about.  We all understand we could repair
our boats in the unlikely event of a lightning strike, but that we might not
be able to repair ourselves.

Where could I find the statistics to back up your statement?

Bill Effros

----- Original Message -----
From: "R. Smith" <sailnut@asan.com>
To: "The Rhodes 22 mail list" <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Right from the get go

I defer to Roger on the mechanical/electrical issues.  However I do not
believe that a passing thunderstorm would build 8 foot seas.  To develop a
sea that high one would need a long fetch and sustained winds for a period
of time measured in hours.

Roger is quit correct when he warns about undue concern about getting caught
out in a storm.  Occasional bad weather comes with the territory.  There are
thousands of boats on Chesapeake Bay sailing experiencing the same
conditions with you!  Be prepared, watch the sky and listen to your weather
radio.

Thunderstorms are indeed dangerous but the danger is associated with the
very strong gust's generated by the vertical components of the convective
activity that spawns them.  Here on Raritan Bay (New York City Area) I had
the "memorable" experience of being heeled past 50 degrees (per
inclinometer) under my bare pole in an 8,000 pound keel boat.  Granted this
was a very unusual occurrence (there was a water spout within an eighth of a
mile) but it can happen.

Years ago in a 19 foot swing keel boat, perhaps a little stiffer then a
Rhodes, I got stuck in a storm with a measured 85 kt gust (not by me).  I
did not find the experience much different from the one I described above.

In general the worst that could happen (assuming you have your sails furled)
would be to momentarily lay a spreader in the water.  Presuming that your
standing rigging is OK and that you keep from falling out of the boat (I
recommend that you stay in the cockpit throughout the event) things will be
OK.

Interestingly enough, the heavy downpours associated with convective storms
beat the waves down.  Presuming that the general sea state is appropriate
for a boat like a Rhodes I would not be concerned about wave action.

One thing is a must when it comes to thunderstorms.  GET AWAY FROM THE SHORE
AND SHOAL AREAS.  Unless you can make a slip or a mooring within minutes
head out to sea at full throttle... much safer.

Although others recommend otherwise I do not advocate trying to steam into
the wind under these conditions.  Cavitation of the prop (from heeling if
nothing else) and the action of the wind on the hull  dooms such an
exercise.  I now shift to neutral fast idle the engine and steer the boat
(on it's windage only) on the most comfortable point of sail.  It's much
more better that way.

In general a convective storm will last around an hour.  The most severe
conditions are generally experienced as the leading dark roll cloud with
it's associated downdraft pass overhead.

Much has been written here and else-where about lighting.  Yes your boat can
be struck but it's not likely.  However NO ONE has ever been electrocuted by
a lightning strike to a sail boat.  If the worse happens, in addition to
frying your electronics, the strike will put a hole in your hull.
Frightening yes, but no big deal with a positive flotation boat like a
Rhodes.

Richard G. Smith