[Rhodes22-list] Hurricane Lili

Ben Schultz BenS@ApproSystems.com
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:35:12 -0500

I see the attachment didn't make it.  I'll copy/paste the text.  For those
of you who aren't interested, sorry to send such a long diatribe!

***************
October 3, 2002
0930

The hurricane weather is blowing into Baton Rouge.  Hurricane Lili has come
ashore, and lies to our southwest.  It is warm and windy here, with
occasional gusts that are very strong, and occasional short downpours.

Hurricane Andrew was the last major storm to pass through.  That was 10
years ago, when Heather and I were college students.  The bulk of the storm
came through during the early morning hours after the hurricane party, so
everyone I knew slept through the storm.  It wasn't until we drove around
the city and saw the downed trees and power lines that we knew the magnitude
of what has hit.

So today, I have the opportunity to sit through a hurricane and witness its
power in full daylight.  There is definitely a lot more trepidation this
time, but a lot of scientific curiosity and excitement as well.  Our home is
in the middle of an isosceles triangle formed by three huge trees.  The tree
in front of the house is a huge live oak.  Its trunk is big enough that it
would take 3 grown men to wrap arms around it.  Its branches cover the
entire front of our lot and most of the lot next door.  All of our vehicles
are parked right beneath it.

The back yard is canopied by two large pecan trees.  Although they have not
nearly the girth of the oak, I estimate the highest branches to be 120 feet
high.  We often get some large pecan branches in the yard from regular
storms.

Since the storm is to our southwest, the current wind is coming from  the
south and southeast.  The sustained winds are fairly light (20 knots or
less), but the gusts are occasionally very strong - unfortunately above my
ability to estimate, but certainly not nearly the 60-80 knots that they are
seeing near the coast.  It has rained off and on, although nothing is
falling now.

My current perch allows me a great sheltered view of storms.  The north side
of the house has a small balcony upstairs.  It is nestled in under the
roofline, so the ceiling above me slopes to a point in the middle.
Amazingly, the ceiling fan provides my only breeze when we are between
gusts.  It is dry enough that one of the cats even joined me for a while.
(Poor Oscar is disturbed by today's alteration of his routine.  He has been
underfoot all morning, wanting either attention, or a release so that he can
go prowl his territory.  In his mind, the yard must be teeming with rodents
without his vigilant watch to keep them away.)

My downward view shows our back yard.  It is a small area (about 80 ft.
square) of gardens, deck, and patio.  Looking up gives me view over the
rooflines of neighbors' houses, and of the thick of the branches of all of
their trees.  The scope is large enough that I can see trees in the distance
swaying wildly while I experience calm, and vice versa.

Predictions for the rest of the day vary from dire to mundane.  Almost all
businesses and schools are closed, of course.  Hotel parking lots are full
of power company trucks from other cities and states, waiting to restore
power.  A frequent topic of conversation this week has revolved around the
amount of time people went without power after Andrew.  It took close to two
weeks to get all of Baton Rouge back on line, but some areas didn't lose
power at all.

1110

The wind is picking up now.  Gusts are stronger and last a little longer.
There has been no more rain so far this morning, and we still have
electricity.  But, we appear to be in one of the calmest areas - between the
outer bands of the storm and the main hurricane.  The storm is well over
land and still southwest of here.  It has been downgraded to a category 1.

The strong gusts are amazing.  If I had to guess, they might be 40-50 knots
.  The trees sway wildly, and the noise is like a freight train.  It looks
like storm footage that you see on TV, but like most things, the
photographed image doesn't do justice to the real thing.  Noise and swaying
from every direction.

I have been sitting on the balcony trying to read, but watching the wind
blow the trees keeps seeming more interesting.  Like watching a fire burn, I
can't seem to turn away, and it never seems repetitive or boring.

1117

One thing that is boring is the radio.  The few stations that are still
broadcasting are taking calls from people who have enlightening things to
say like, "I'm in River Oaks subdivision off of Highland Road, and we do
still have power out here."  AAAUGH.

I think it's time to put on a hard rock CD and switch from coffee to bourbon
and coke.

1217

I hope I'm not tempting the gods, but I'm starting to lose interest a little
bit.  There are still some good gusts, and I sometimes see a pecan branch
fall into a neighbor's yard, but still no real rain.  Heather is pretty sure
that she saw the house of our friends Clay and Amanda on the local news,
with a small tree down on it.  They don't answer their phone, so they may
have evacuated.

Jim next door is a man in search of a relief effort to join.  He heard
something fall loudly, so he came by to check on us.  He is decked out in
knee-length rubber boots and the kind of rain gear that the weather channel
people wear as they foolishly report from the worst parts of the storm.  I
can hear his generator running next door, so his power may be out.  He
offered use of his chainsaw, but there's certainly no need for it yet.
Perhaps once it's safe to get on the road, I'll take him over to Clay's and
let him get to work.  Wouldn't they be surprised to return home and find a
tree missing and a stack of firewood next to the door?

I guess I did tempt the gods with my first sentence.  The wind has notched a
bit higher, and more small branches are falling.  A transformer not too far
from here just exploded, so there must be more neighbors without power now.
The transformer that supplies our house is in my view now, and if it
explodes, the noise will probably be loud enough to cause me to soil my
drawers.

1445

I guess that's all there is to it.  The wind never got any worse, and there
hasn't been any rain to speak of.  The neighbors on both sides are without
power, but we are still fine.  There is still some wind and some drizzle,
but it's definitely better than it was.

Louisiana is lucky overall that this storm stayed west of the major cities.
I'm sure there will be some stories of serious damage, but the news reports
haven't found those stories yet.  The footage so far has been a tree down
here, a power line down there.  Pretty mundane stuff.

The storm is now 80 mile WNW of Baton Rouge, and it has been downgraded to a
tropical storm.  I guess that's the worst we will see.  Lunch has been made,
eaten, and cleaned up.  I suppose the only item left for the day is a nap.

2200

An evening survey of the neighborhood revealed the extent of the damage.
Several large trees were down, but none of them appeared to do any major
damage.  Most came down across streets, completely blocking them.  Those
falls tended to pull down power lines.  The nearest cross street is a lively
place, with residents and pets in the street keeping each other company out
of lack of anything else to do.  Further down the street, a Spanish-speaking
crew from California trims branches away from some high lines that I had
never even noticed.

The neighbors to either side are still without power as our house blazes
brightly in the unnaturally dark night.  It's a little obnoxious looking, I
have to admit.  The news reports that there are no known casualties yet.
How fortunate that the worst weather missed the major population centers.

The information transmitted may contain confidential material and is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any
action by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the information from
your system and contact the sender.

[...]

   Almost all businesses and schools are closed, of course.&= nbsp; Hotel