[Rhodes22-list] boat covers

Steve Alm salm@mn.rr.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 01:57:21 -0500

Brad,

Your solution sounds like a good one but, for what it's worth, here's what I
do:  I remove the tall mast crutch and let the mast rest on the stern pulpit
with an anti-chafing pad.  The other end of the mast is resting on the bow
pulpit.  When lowered into this position, the mast sits just above the cabin
and gives the boat a pretty low profile.  I put a little padding under the
mast at the cabin to support it and prevent bending.  I also put some
padding under and around the tips of the spreaders.  The mast makes the
"ridge beam" for the tarp and I don't use any lateral supports.  I tie the
tarp snugly to the trailer and the whole rig, motor and all, is protected.
As a final touch, I sew up the ends with a big needle and heavy thread--two
inch stitches so it doesn't take long.  This provides full coverage but not
air tight like a shrink wrap.  During the Minnesota winter months, I
periodically go out and check everything but last winter I didn't have to do
anything to it.

I don't like to think my season is over either but if the weather doesn't
change soon, my season was over a month ago.  It's been really crappy here
and "the prevailing weather tends to prevail."  :-(

Is it too soon to think spring?
Slim