[Rhodes22-list] boat covers

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 07:06:53 -0700 (PDT)

This is not the end of the sailing season here, in
fact the best time is now, but my slip hasn't opened
up yet and I'm not through working on the boat. So, it
is time to prepare for the Fall leaf dropping season.
My backyard is full of trees and requires me to wash
my cars/boat weekly just to get the "gum" off.  I
bought two blue plastic tarps 11x15 from Sam's for $15
bucks and they cover well, but!  Previous experience
with other boats has taught me that water gathers in
the cockpit area of the tarp and forms a pool.  My
proposed solution for this and to make the tarps fit
nicely and not rub the boat as follows:

Place a 2" PVC pipe vertically in the cockpit table
leg reciever with a "T" glued slightly above the
height of the cabin.  Place a second 2" "T" at the
mast step with a small riser.  Run a length of 2" PVC
pipe from bow to stern through the T's then glue 1"
laterals from the longitudinal 2" pipe extending to
both sides of the boat to get the proper shape for
draining, not puddling.  The final product will look
something like a giant PVC TV antenna.

If this has been done before or some of you have a
better technique or an improved method I'm all ears.
Critique away!

If you wonder why I don't just drape the tarp over the
mast its for two reasons:  1 - my boat would no longer
be inconspicuous in the backyard, 2 - one ice storm
and things could get ugly.

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"