[Rhodes22-list] Genoa Sheets

Ware, Joseph W. joseph_ware@merck.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:21:46 -0400

Thanks Roger, That is the way I'm going.  I just need to get samples of the
line to find out which fits my clam cleats.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Pihlaja [mailto:cen09402@centurytel.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 8:14 AM
To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Genoa Sheets

Joe,

I prefer to use a single genoa sheet tied onto the luff with a "Loop Hitch".
To make this knot, find the middle of the line & form a loop.  Stick this
loop thru the grommet in the sail such that the loop protrudes about 2" thru
the backside of the sail.  Then, take the two loose ends of the line & stick
them thru this loop.  Snug it up & you will have a loop hitch with two genoa
sheets ready to use.  It is the lowest profile, most nonsnagging knot that
I'm aware of for attaching the sheets to a sail.  It is also nonslip,
self-tightening, nonchafing, & yet it never jams when you want to untie it.

If you must use two separate sheets, then a bowline isn't a bad choice.
However, you will have to work at removing snags on the foredeck.  Remember,
it is better to remove &/or streamline all snags on the foredeck than to use
an inferior knot.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.