[Rhodes22-list] tarp support

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:02:31 -0700 (PDT)

Slim, I should have mentioned that one of my winter
projects is to remove the sails and send them off for
cleaning.  Got a quote from SailCare for $235.
Therefore, I plan to store the mast and ginny on some
sawhorses.  After seeing Anne's boat at KY Lake I got
encouraged about polishing the shine back to mine but
after experimenting came to the conclusion that there
isn't enough paint left to work with and there's
several nicks & scrapes that need to be repaired and
won't match.  I bought some Interlux Brightside
polyurethane topside paint and am now reading through
Don Casey's sailboat repainting book.  The PVC
substitute for a mast will allow me to remove the
whole cover quickly and easily to work on those
pleasant Winter days (they really do exist in some
parts). Also, Casey says to do it right you should
remove and re-rebed all deck hardware which means the
stern rail and bow pulpit will have to be removed at
some point.  I ordered a part I needed yesterday from
GBI and confessed to Stan that if you count my time at
50 cents per hour I will easily exceed the cost of a
re-cycled boat.  However, I enjoy the work and am
getting very familiar with the construction and care
of the boat.

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"